Q2 - 2019 | Cryptocurrency Anti-Money Laundering Report Highlights: (Reddit Bitcoin)
- Thieves and scammers stole more than $4.26 billion from cryptocurrency exchanges, investors, and users in the first half of 2019.
- Users and investors lost approximately US$2.9 billion as “South Korean” Plus Token app and exchange went offline; Chinese police arrested six Chinese nationals in Vanuatu as the alleged perpetrators.
- Hackers used advanced cyberattack to steal $44 million from world’s largest cryptocurrency exchange, Binance.
- Update from Canadian court on QuadrigaCX collapse reveals long history of misappropriation of user funds by QuadrigaCX founder.
- Japanese exchange BITPoint hacked for $30 million.
- BestMixer mixing service seized by law enforcement authorities.
- European authorities seized three dark web markets and assets.
- CFTC charged Control-Finance in $147M Ponzi scheme.
- Facebook shook up crypto economy and woke up policy makers with Libra announcement.
- SIM Swapping victim won $75.8 million judgement against hacker.
- More sophisticated exchange hacks used advanced simultaneous takeovers of user and admin accounts.
- SEC sued Kik over $100 million unregistered ICO.
- CipherTrace research shows Bitcoin still dominates payment method in dark markets despite advent of privacy coins.
- Hack may have caused Bitcoin flash crash on Kraken.
- European authorities made arrests in two major typosquatting scams that cost exchange users tens of millions.
- $23 million in Bitcoin lost and co-owner found dead after Polish exchange Bitmarket shutters due to “liquidity issues.
- Iran accused US of attempting to block its virgin Bitcoin as means to compensate for financial hit from sanctions.
- UN published report on North Korean government hackers stealing $571 million from Asian exchanges to fund WMD and compensate for sanctions.